Community Development/Economic Development Intern - Island Coastal Economic Trust
Purpose: To provide a recent University graduate or graduate student with the opportunity to access a professional on the job training required to transition into permanent professional career opportunities. ICET interns will have the opportunity to refine their communication, project management, research, and analytical skills as they build relationships and networks with communities, First Nations, and non profit groups.
To provide the region with skilled, motivated, fully trained economic development and community development professionals, ready to move into entry level positions. Previous ICET interns have successfully transitioned to mid and high level employment positions in community economic development and regional tourism organizations.
Employer: The Island Coastal Economic Trust was established by the Province of BC, to grow and diversify the regional economy through targeted investments in communities, non profits and First Nations.
Job Description: Interns will be provided with targeted training as well as networking and relationship building opportunities. Mentorship will be provided by ICET staff and expert consultants.The intern will interact with a broad range of regional partners including local government officials and staff, economic development professionals, First Nations, non profits, provincial government and other stakeholders. The intern will be expected to complete a number of term assignments which will require independent work and the management of multiple projects and deadlines, under the supervision and mentorship of ICET staff.
- Provide direct support services such as research, grant writing, project development or planning support, business retention and expansion activities to community initiatives throughout the ICET region.
- Support regional collaborative initiatives
- Support the development of community profiles or other community documents
- Conduct project impact measurement of completed projects
Support for ICET operations
- Manage web updates and help develop social media content
- Support the development of communication materials, annual reports
- Provide support for the project application and assessment process
- Provide assistance with project management
- Help organize and participate in Board Meetings and Regional Advisory Committee meetings
- Participate in client, stakeholder and partner meetings as required
- General administrative tasks as required
Job Location: Courtenay, BC with occasional travel to other communities
Job Duration: 8 months from May 2018 to December 2018
Salary: $3000 per month, 35 hours per week
Qualifications: The successful candidate will be:
- Recent University graduate or graduate student who has fully completed all degree requirements prior to start of internship
- Graduate of a relevant degree program (Community Economic Development, Economics, Communications, Public Administration, Political Science, etc.)
- Interested in economic development and/or community development
- Confident and able to work independently
- Strong technical writing, research and analytical skills
- Effective communicator with strong interpersonal skills
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- Have lived or worked in the ICET region
- Have in-depth knowledge of the regional context and economy
- Have exceptional communication and technical writing skills
- Are committed to establishing a career in the ICET region
All applicants should submit a current resume, references and cover letter outlining their career aspirations, how this job can assist them in meeting their career goals as well as specify any particular skills and expertise which they can bring to the job.
Successful applicants must have a valid BC driver license and be able to relocate to Courtenay BC for the term of employment. Once hired, applicants must agree to a criminal record check and to sign a confidentiality agreement.
Documents should be sent in PDF format, by February 26th to:
Denice Regnier, Corporate and Project Administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org