Wildfire Support to Small Businesses, Not-for-Profit Organizations and First Nations Cultural Livelihoods
BCEDA is pleased to share that the Red Cross and the Province of BC have announced an emergency assistance program for Small Business, Not-for-Profit Organizations and First Nations Cultural Livelihoods.
The Canadian Red Cross will be providing emergency assistance of $1,500 to each eligible small business, not-for-profit organization or cultural livelihood directly impacted by the British Columbia Fires through an application and validation process. This funding is made possible through a contribution from the government of British Columbia.
Who can apply?
To receive funding, small businesses, not-for-profit organizations and First Nation people who support their community and its members through cultural livelihoods must meet the following basic requirements. Additional information will be required during the application process.
- Types of businesses, organizations and First Nations individuals:
- Sole Proprietors
- Not-for-profit organizations (Organization descriptions)
- First Nations businesses
- First Nations members whose main income support comes from carrying out a cultural livelihood (Cultural livelihood definitions)
In addition, applicants must:
- Have 50 employees or less (does not apply to not-for-profit organizations)
- Be located in a community that was (or is) under an evacuation order or evacuation alert as a result of the 2017 British Columbia Fires, including First Nations businesses or traditional cultural livelihoods located on-reserve.
- Eligibility has also been extended to areas directly impacted by closures along: Highway 20; Highway 97, south of Prince George to areas covered by evacuation alerts; Highway 26 to Barkerville; and, eastern Cariboo Regional District communities of Horsefly and Likely.
- NOTE: Given the event is ongoing, please check back for additional eligible communities. The Province continues to review areas directly and significantly impacted by closures and will make adjustments to the eligibility as required but does not want to delay support to these affected communities while that review is undertaken.
- Have been in operation on or before July 7, 2017
- Be financially vulnerable as a result of the 2017 BC Fires
- Have resumed or are intending to resume operations
How to Apply:
To apply for this assistance please go to www.redcross.ca/bcfires/smallbusiness and complete the application form. You can also call 1-855-999-3345 from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST, Monday to Friday. If you have any difficulties please feel free to email us at email@example.com and we will do our best to help you.